A Ticker Tape or price ticker shows a streaming set of data that displays every transaction made for all stocks. The Ticker reveals the active side of the market as it summarizes the most recent trades and may show where the action is.
The Ticker example above gives a good account of what is commonly displayed. In the order listed, you will find the ff:
1. Stock Code
2. Market Price
3. Traded Volume
4. Buying Broker (during closing, this portion of the ticker will display 'Closed')
5. Selling Broker (during closing, this portion of the ticker will display the closing date)
The ticker details may also change its color to relate some information about its performance for the day – the color guide is as follows:
1. Green indicates the stock is trading higher than the previous day's close.
2. Red indicates the stock is trading lower than the previous day's close.
3. Yellow means the stock is unchanged from the previous closing price.